BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Jamaica

I'm pretty sure by now that every one has heard about the crisis happening in Jamaica right now! It's honestly really sad for the innocent people dying in the crossfire. I am particularly sad and in fear for my family members who live 10-20mins away from the war zone. I am in fear for their lives, Downtown Kingston is in shambles and it isn't safe for people to leave their homes at all. They're telling people that it is still okay and to continue to go to work.
All of this stress and headache is over Christopher "Dudus" Coke, don of Tivoli Gardens in downtown Kingston. He is being extradited by the US for his illegal drug ring of marijuana in the US, mainly New York. But the people from Tivoli are who are dragging out the process. They just don't want to give him up and I completely understand where they are coming from! The government isn't helping them pay their children's school tuition when it's due, the government isn't protecting them from the crime and gun men, Dudus is. He helps to keep the place safe and orderly even if he IS using "dirty money" to keep the streets safe.
The people are even comparing Dudus to GOD!! That, I think is a bit much. "He is next to God," one demonstrator said. "Just like how Jesus died on the cross for us, we are willing to die for Dudus," said another. I completely understand that he helps the town out but really, you're gonna compare him to God?! I can't even speak too much because I am not living in their condition where I am constantly worrying about where my next meal is coming from or how I am going to feed or clothe my children. Approximately 13% of the Jamaican population, and although it is not very high, it is one of the higher percentages in the Caribbean. So I completely feel these people's pain but I am not sure how sorry I feel for them while they are allowing sooo many innocent people to get hurt and/or die just to save one man!
All I can do is pray for the country and hope for brighter days!

1 comments:

Raven said...

Ohhhhh...I love the layout of your blog! Nice blog.

Hope to see you stop by my blog soon! I think you may like it. ~(; hee hee

-Raven <3